Melrose Place

• Members

While reading that article from the show's beginning, I thought: "Did I watch a different show back then?" Because the first 15 episodes were clearly not trendy, sexy or racy at all. And when exactly did Rhonda's kiss with a not black man happen? I can't remember her kissing anyone but her future husband Terrence.

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Yes, Doug Savant was actually pushing for Matt to have a crush for Michael and it's obvious it's something the writers toyed with a bit, but I guess they were too afraid to go there sadly in case it would get a backlash from the gay community.

Season 6 was a mess for several reasons - besides the exodus of original cast members, it was obvious that the show was rushed into production due to Heather's pregnancy - Doug Savant was originally set to appear in the first 13 (or so) episodes of season 6, but due to other commitments he could not fulfill that contract when they had to start filming early. It was also obvious that it effected the writing in the worst way - some stories were just randomly dropped (like Samantha's psycho painting) or was just there as an obvious filler story (Michael having that stripper move in only for her to steal his tv - WTF?). It's a shame because some of the stories did have potential (like Kimberly's mom stalking Michael), but overall it just sucked.

Also, snatching PEYTON from Savannah only to have her play a pill-popping neurotic? Really, writers...

Edited by te.

• Members

Thanks for posting the article! Gosh, television was different 20 years ago. The "summer rerun season" is a thing of the past.

The original intent of Melrose was so different than what it (thankfully) evolved into. I'd say it was trendy the first season because they were always on location on real-life Melrose and the character's personalities were also very different; the clothes more vibrant and individual to each character. But damn, did fashion change quickly. Even by 1995, all that B-roll footage of people strolling up 'n down Melrose was terribly outdated. Yet, they used that footage up til the very end, mom jeans 'n all!

• Members

I never have watched the first season. I always mean to, in part because I liked Vanessa Williams on Soul Food, but I just never get around to it.

I always wonder what would have happened if those first episodes had been a huge hit, and how different the show would have been.

• Members

Did that annoy you when they said Melrose had "a gay"? I think I gasped when I first read that. It's like a parody of a homophobe.

I wonder if they should have written Matt out after the first season.

I do like the poses - I think my favorite is Doug Savant contorted around the pole.

• Members

"A gay." Ha. I wasn't really shocked considering it was 1992 and we still had yet to have the Ellen revolution, Roseanne kissing Murielle Hemmingway, all the AIDS/HIV/Gay hoopla still going strong, etc.

I do think it's funny though how they say Melrose is so different than 90210 because they represent more diverse crowds, with their one [token] black and one [token] gay. And wouldn't ya know it, the token black is a dancin' fool.

smile.png

Edited by Gray Bunny

• Members

I thought that Sandy had potential which was completely wasted. Amy Locane's acting wasn't that bad (if we forget about her disappearing and returning southern accent), and she and Grant Show had great chemistry – something that most of Jake's other pairings clearly lacked. This may be an unpopular opinion, but I never thought that Jo/Jake or Amanda/Jake were great couples. I actually prefered him with Sydney, Jane and Alison happy.png

If we just take a look at the first half of season 1, I would have written Jane and/or Michael off the show instead of Sandy because they were just boring and were just there. Thank God that changed later on and they became two of my favorite characters (next to Sydney and Kimberly of course).

I also found it weird that Alison basically drove the whole first season. She was the heart and soul of the show, and Courtney Thorne-Smith was the only female regular to appear in all 32 episodes. Bissett and Williams missed a lot of episodes, especially in the second half of the season, and sometimes they only appeared in one or two scenes. Beginning with season 2, Alison was thrown under the bus – or rather thrown under Amanda. I wonder what CTS thought about her character changing from moral center to being the doormat.

Even though they were pushed to the backburner in their last two years on the show, Jake and Alison should have stayed until the very end. Billy and Matt should have been written out after season 4 at the latest.

• Members

i really liked sandy and thought she would have fit in perfectly with what MP turned into! i remember being upset when the character was written off and thinking that rhonda and matt should be the ones. billy def should have been written off after the alison/billy/amanda and alison/billy/brooke triangles ended!!!!

• Members

Interesting opinions. smile.png I think Jake's "soulmate" so-to-speak was Jo. Maybe it's a nostalgia thing since most of my favorite couples were the original pairings during the first 3 seasons. Jake and Amanda were also fun, but it never seemed quite right. She was always acting so superior to him, as he was a little too blue-collar for her, even though she went for blue-collar guys a lot (Billy in season 1, Jake, Kyle). I also liked Jake and Sydney and thought that relationship was too short-lived.

I grew to like Sandy. I think they gave up on her too soon. The disappearing accent was a real trip. But come to think of it, I wonder how she would've meshed with other characters that came in like Sydney, Kimberly, and Amanda. They would've eaten her alive. Sandy was like a watered down version of Lexi. She had an edge for like the first 2 episodes when she was snippy toward's 90210's Kelly Taylor, but then became a sap. (I liked that one episode where she had that stalker boyfriend)

Omigod that first season just cracks me up. They really analyzed and contemplated every single nuance in life. Which I liked to a certain degree, versus some of the too-fast-paced stories by season 4. Alison was definitely the heart of the show. It was ALL about her. Everyone else was supporting. Matt and Rhonda were total afterthoughts. It is interesting to watch seasons 1-3 and see Alison's role diminished. I guess you could consider her the Brenda Walsh of Melrose; driving the main stories initially but then the show became a true ensemble. Thankfully she didn't have the diva 'tude of Miss Doherty. I remember seeing an interview with Courtney Thorne-Smith during Melrose's height of fame and she didn't seem at all bitter about the show becoming an ensemble, but rather just happy the show had become a success.

Edited by Gray Bunny

• Members

I've been rewatching Season 6 and it's not as bad as I thought it was when I first watched.

I am totally LOVING Taylor/Michael. Lisa Rinna was perfect in the role. I couldn't imagine Hunter Tylo in the role.

I'm loving Lexi's arrival. Her and Peter actually have chemistry.

Craig mourning Sydney's death sad.png

Sam & Billy are Zzzzzzz

I'm loving Jennifer. Her snark with Amanda is great.

Kyle and Amanda are Zzzzz as well.

Edited by darraholic

• Members

I remember reading here, or somewhere, that Andrew Shue became so prominent compared to his early role because he was one of the big fan favorites.

I do think they should have written him out after Brooke died. I think that unintentionally hilarious arc where he went "bad" was one of the reasons I lost interest in the show, along with that unfortunate story where Kimberly had DID.

• Members

Yes! That's when it all fell apart, at the tail end of season 4, I even felt at the time when I originally watched it. Billy being bad for a split-second (but Amanda still managed to outsmart him! Sleeping with him just to secure her position as HBIC at D&D) was laughable, Jo's boring send-off with Dominick, Alison & Jake getting together... but the ultimate twist that had me rolling my eyes was that moment where an otherwise sane Kimberly was sleeping and had a random flashback of all her traumatic moments in life (the car accident, showing off her scar, etc.) and suddenly she developed a split personality. Even at the tender age of 13, I knew this was just a May Sweeps stunt.