Melrose Place

• Members

Yeah, for being so NYC street-smart, they really turned her into a wimp. I liked the baby story though. I'm actually in the process of watching season 3 and I thought the story with her and Matt with that crooked gay cop was lame. I liked the Jake/Jo/Jess story, but yes, that beating scene is disturbing.

I agree that Jane/Richard/Jo was a downer for season 4 and her being written off with Dominic was also lame. Zero chemistry is right! They should've brought her back to usher Jake off the next season.

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I thought all of Matt's stories were lame! Was I the only one that had no use for that character? All of his stories and love interests were so boring. The fact that his stories tended to be so seperate from everyone else's made it easy to just ignore him and FF upon reviewing as you dont miss much.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Oh same here. One of my favorite lines from the series was after she had him beat up:

Kimberly: "Broken ribs...I told them to brak your arm"

Matt: "Dont try to take credit for this. You had nothing to do with this. It was a hate crime"

Kimberly: "You bet your butt it was. I hate you"

and here is that scene

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUv24nvySqA

• 4 months later...
  • Members

So rewatching the series for the first time in my early-mid 20's... a lot of my views on it have changed.

Kimberly way overstayed her use. Keeping her after she blew up MP was a bit much, but keeping her as long as they did and the cancer story and megan and all of that was just far too much. That said, i did like hoe they brought Coop and Lexi in by using her missing time from MP.

I never fully realized just how bat [!@#$%^&*] crazy Taylor was her entire run, and i love it. Lisa Rinna played it to perfection too. She played up the camp but never went OTT. I loved the dynamics between Taylor, Kyle, Amanda, and Peter and later on adding in Coop, Lexi, Megan, and Michael. They all played so well off eachother.

Billy is a newfound favorite. I love the dude and he became a much more interesting character away from Alison, who sucked the life out of him. I loved his relationship with Sam and their friendship with Sydney and whats his name.

As for Amanda, Kyle was clearly the man she loved most, but she belonged with Peter.

I think the show actually did a much better job than its given credit for in terms of cast changes. They lost Alison, Matt, Jake, Kimbery, and Syd all at once but the show went on and didnt really miss a beat. Of course a cast change that severe is a hurdle no matter how well its done though.

• Members

You seriously like Billy? Whoa :lol: I thought he was one of the worst characters, together with Matt and Coop. The only time I found him tolerable was when he was with Brooke – but only because I loved Brooke.

Now that I think of it, the whole storyline with Billy, Brooke, Alison and Amanda in late season 3/early season 4 was very similar to Michael, Sydney, Jane and Kimberly in season 2. Billy (Michael) was in love with the mentally unstable Alison (Kimberly), but fell for the scheming Brooke (Sydney) who just wanted appreciation. Amanda (Jane) was the unfeeling bitch in that scenario who held a grudge against both Alison and Brooke.

Not only Kimberly overstayed her use. Matt should have been written out at the end of season 1 because there was just no use for him. The only thing I liked about him was his friendship with Michael. All his love interests were fugly – with the exception of that army guy in season 2 – and of course all his relationships ended badly. Billy and Alison should have left together at the end of season 4. Even though I loved Jake and Alison together, they were too isolated from everyone else in season 5.

Jake should have stayed until the very end. He was a very solid, down-to-earth character who had chemistry with everyone. Getting rid of "Shooters" and replacing it with a jazz club wasn't a great idea either. It was like they suddenly aged all the characters from their late 20s to mid 40s – ok, Amanda, Peter and Michael clearly looked like that at the end of the show. Megan also looked way older than she actually was. Jane was 22 when the show began and should have been 29 in the series finale, but she also looked at least 10 years older.

Edited by Huntress

• Members

Not only do i like billy, i LOVE him. lol.

Ugh, Brooke. My h=most hated character, next to the awfulness that was Eve.

This is true, however the michael, syd, jane, and kim story was much better, IMHO.

All so true.

jake/alison were actually good but it was like another show mixed in within melrose place. they had no connection with anything else going on.

It was nice when they introduced the Jazz club and had shooters at the same time, because they had the more mature characters at the jazz spot and the younger ones at shooters mostly and it worked. because i will never for a moment believe Amanda Woodward would step foot in a place like Shooters, lol. Then Shooters vanished and suddenly Kyles and Upstairs were the only places in town. You can tell they suffered a budgt cut too because then everyone ended up living in Melrose Place except for Lexi who had that cheap looking room that was supposed to be a condo at the Marina.

• Members

Lexi's room WAS a condo at the Marina. Marina Del Ray in fact. I lived in rented digs there with friends and we lived maybe 3 blocks away from the condo they shot Lexi's interiors and exteriors in.

And yes Jack, Lisa Rinna was perfect as Taylor, she played all that campy stuff perfectly. Recall Taylor beating herself with the door? Recall Taylor straddling Michael with "Give me your best shot!"...fabulous.

And Amanda wins at life. I hate to say it's the zenith of Heather Locklear's career, but it was.

• Members

REALLY? It looks so tiny! Perhaps just because sets are so big and when they use a real set it looks smaller than it is, then again places on the water and in areas are smaller for the location.

Lisa Rinna truly was perfect as Taylor. I liked her the first time i watched but this time around i really appreciated the approach she took. Taylor was a cartoon villian. Over the top and all. But Rinna played her with conviction and heart and made you feel for her in her crazyness. Her beating herself with the door was one of those orgasmic TV moments, lol.

Why hate to say it? Amanda was a great role and Heather played it to perfection. I do wish someone would create a new primetime soap around her where she is perhaps an author or editor, something in the book world, and then gets caught in a whirlwind romance and introduce a few key people in her life. A serious drama with campy and fun elements and not a comedy trying to be a soap (yea, im looking at desperate housewives).

• Members

I wish that Jake/Jo and Billy/Alison all left together. More so Jake & Jo. I didn't mind Jake & Alison mostly because it made Jane bat [!@#$%^&*] crazy. I couldn't stand goody goody Jane.

Brooke <3 I really liked the Billy/Brooke/Alison/Hayley storyline. And Brooke dying in the pool is probably my favorite scene in the entire series. Even more then the explosion.

• Members

At the time I loved Brooke, although the "bad Billy" story afterwards was kind of hilarious.

For some reason I always forget the stuff with Allison and Brooke's father (Perry King). King was such a hot daddy, I didn't know why he was so misused on Melrose and then Titans.

Edited by CarlD2