November 5-9, 2007

Toups

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I am interested in the most accurate count of the number of people or households who watch a soap as that provides a true reflection of if a soap is losing viewers or not and has nothing to do with DVR vs. non-DVR.

The advertisers are interested in the number of people who watch the commercials of course. Although if you are not a DVR viewer, you could be taping it on your VCR and be FF through the commercials too and of course the advertisers are aware of that. DVR viewers are NOT automatically discounted by advertisers; per the information below:

"Among households with DVRs, the average primetime broadcast program audience increases 40% when including same day DVR playback and 73% when including three days of playback. Audiences for commercial minutes within these broadcast programs increase 18% and 32% respectively. Both cable network and syndicated programs and commercials also show increases, although at lower rates."

http://www.nielsenmedia.com/nc/portal/site...000ac0a260aRCRD

Also, "It turned out that nearly half of DVR users actually watch commercials, according to data Nielsen released in May."

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5is5BGK6...d3SoAQD8SAJH2O0

• Members

Just like the week of John's hit and run, Days went up towards the end of the week so I think that bodes well for this week. I expect a 2.0 for this week. They did very well demo and total viewer-wise.

I am not liking GH but that is pretty impressive as that was nothing but buildup and really not much in the way of big stuff. They should go up for this week with the reveal and the death.

I wouldn't put too much stock in GL beating Days and AMC. That is going to be a back and forth and, sadly, I expect to see other soaps joining them in that race soon.

Horrible numbers across the board though, even with the increases. I am shocked we got the numbers with the holiday and all. Next week should be really late in getting these though.

Archived