The Tennis Thread

• Members

It's a huge achievement for Rafa, don't get me wrong but that match could not hold my attention unless you paid me to watch!

The women's final was something of a mess for a set and a half but at least it didn't bore me!  People want to moan about how the men deserve more money than the women but I was far more entertained by yesterday's women's final (mess and all) than by the sleep inducing final earlier today.

In other news...

Craig Kardon and CoCo Vandegweghe split.  Kardon will now coach Donald Young. Good news that Young is more receptive to someone besides Mom and Pop coaching him.   

I don't know whether the final straw was losing to Ryan Harrison in the doubles final (probably not) but whatever it was, I wish Young the best.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Soapsuds

• Faulkner

• DramatistDreamer

• ChitHappens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I've never ever cared for Rafa's game. It is so boring to watch unless he is playing someone like a Roger, Thiem, Sasha or Stan. Watching him play against the likes of Novak and Andy is coma inducing.

I saw part of the women's final entertaining even though it wasn't two tops players.

That's great news for Young. Craig should be a great asset to him. CoCo is stupid to have let him go.

Doubles mean nothing. Ryan beating isn't all that great. Yes, he made over 300,000 ....more than he has ever made in his life but it was a fluke.  As soon as the US Open rolls around and he doesn't defend his 4th round result from last year....Ryan will be back in 100's in the rankings. I guarantee it!

• Members

And I keep meaning to ask this of everyone....out of the Grand Slams which are your favorite(s) in order?  Mine has always been the French Open because I like watching the longer points, then the U.S. Open, then the Australian, then Wimbledon.

Probably not a popular opinion but I never really loved Wimbledon, and the grass season is so short, shorter points, etc.  I have the Australian above it because I'm always looking forward to it because it's the first Slam and we haven't had a Slam since the U.S. Open at that point - it sucks to try and watch the matches Live and I'm dead tired every day from staying up in the middle of the night to see them Live, but it's first and I like it.  French was always my favorite because I was a huge Chris Evert fan, and became a fan of Seles afterward.  U.S. Open I have second because it's our Slam, and the night matches are so exciting and different than any other...and it's fun to see our crowds sometimes get behind players from other countries when one of our own isn't playing.

• Members

The first two tuneups in grass have been rather boring. Maybe its because I am still trying to get over the French Open and Nadal winning for the millionth time. Next week should be better with more of the top players playing. I've always loved Wimbledon. It is my second favorite tournament behind the US Open.

• Members

I'm really happy for Felix Auger-Aliassime!

Please register in order to view this content

Only 16 and just won his first title on the ATP Challenger Tour, defeating a 23 year old player, Mathias Bourgue!

My favorite of the majors tends to be Wimbledon, probably because grass has become so rare and when the tournament first begins, it's almost like you can smell the fresh-cut grass.  I like to listen to the clomp of tennis shoes on the lawn and I swear, it's like the acoustics of the ball coming off the strings of the racquet seems amplified!

The French used to be my 2nd favorite when I was little but it has shifted behind the U.S. Open, which, for me, hasn't quite been the same, TV coverage-wise since it left USA broadcast but the matches are always exciting, especially in the evening and at night.

I like the Australian Open and appreciate that they have probably been the most innovative of the majors- they were the first to get retractable roofs over a tennis court but the time difference is such a killer! 

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

Another injury for Nick and Young takes the match. LOL at Ryan Harrison losing again in the first round....pathetic!  Grigor beats him. I wonder if he kissed him after the match at the net?

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Stan's ex-wife and daughter were at the RG finals this year, albeit some rows behind Donna.  Stan was getting dragged for it but maybe it was by choice?

People also joked that Ilham likely showed up to make sure that she got the child support by getting it directly out of Stan's prizemoney.