The Tennis Thread

• Members

Young and Johnson are pathetic. They can't constantly win matches to buy a year's supply of McDonald's burgers…..LOL.  Ferrer is another one….he plays lower level tourneys to raise his pathetic ranking…..

And now we have Jack Sock playing on TC against Cillic….and guess what Jack is losing…not surprised

I was shocked at both announcements by Victoria and apparently so was TC….LOL….

Ooooooooooo…Isner vs Coric after the Sock/Cilic match….

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Soapsuds

• Faulkner

• DramatistDreamer

• ChitHappens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Isner has a terrible record against Cilic and boy, does it ever show!  

Are you watching Coric vs. Sock? Borna looks determined to hold on to that one break of serve for the rest of the 1st set.

Oh well, at least this Davis Cup tie looks very well attended. 

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

Isner had a big serving in the first set but still could not break Cilic….LOL….pathetic

Coric and Sock was a great match. Sock wasn't inspired one bit to win the match. The whole USA team was pathetic from the Bryan Brothers to Sock to Isner….let a 2-0 lead vanish….I had to LOL as the day kept getting worse for the US team….Jim Courier was no better in coaching and having that bozo of Jay Berger sending notes to Courier was ridiculous. The notes didnt help one bit….LOL  The camera then pans to Berger as he tries to get closer to Sock to give him some advice….it looked dumb as hell….LOL. How can the American male team be any good when the program is being coached by that loser Berger. He was an awful tennis player during his years of playing. It was a total embarrassment by the USA team losing that way….but I was LOL tell the very end.  USA didnt deserve to win. 

Then after the match is over Coric and his team rubbed it in even more with that dance chat the winning team usually does….LOL…..as they pan to Courier and his lousy team leaving the court…LMAO

As for the crowd….most if not all were from out of state. TC reported that on Friday. The team and Courier didnt want to play in a state that was too hot so they picked Oregon. Who picks Oregon?? Really?? Just because of the cool weather?? It didnt help them much as Sock was once again pure with ice towels over his neck. I had to just LOL at that considering the announcers had said the temperature for the day was in the low 70s….LOL.  I didnt see any other player use ice towels but Sock. He(Sock) needs to get into better shape. He looks more like a fullback instead of tennis player. He has too much blubber on him……LOL.  Isner nor Sock will ever win a major. Their games are just so inconsistent. Sock's forehand was all over the place today and his attitude once again stunk!  Isner is all serve and thats all. He can't even break the easiest of serves. 

I wish I could have seen Gimelstob's face after Isner's loss. He was predicting a win…haha…..

As for other Davis Cup…was happy for Argentina and Delpo in their win and Kyle Edmund for winning the final match in defeating Serbia. If Kyle can get a good coach he could be a top 20 player…..I like his game a lot.

Now back to LOL at the US complete meltdown….LOLOLOL

• Members

A friend of mine practically rolled her eyes when she was talking about how the U.S. Davis Cup team squandered a 2-0 lead. I admit, I collapsed into a fit of giggles, at the same time, I did catch some of the Coric/Sock match and I did catch a glimpse of Courier and the rest of the U.S. team leave the court, heads down and I felt a bit bad for them for a moment but I mean, who squanders a 2-0 lead???

I'm pretty sure that if the U.S. Fed Cup team had a 2-0 lead, they'd finish the job. I think Courier's options are limited, especially when the Bryans lose. Isner has rarely shown the ability to play two good singles rubbers in one weekend and I did notice, as you said @Soapsuds, that Jack did not look fully fit, especially compared to Borna Coric. I watched them and I said out loud, after the 1st set, that if this think went 4-5 sets, Jack won't be able to cope. And by the 4th set, he was sweating profusely and often hit poor shots, simply because he could barely get to it, let alone make a well constructed shot.

People used to carp endlessly about Serena's weight, while she was still winning matches. Even David Nalbandian during his 'spare tire years' could linger near the Top 10 and produce the occasional upset, even get deep into draws but it seems to be keeping Jack back. At first glance, I didn't really notice but in action, running and even when he stands sideways, it is noticeable and I think Coric instinctively knew that if it goes down to the wire, he could outlast Sock and perform better in the end.

At this point, the U.S. Davis Cup will probably have to wait for the next wave with the likes of Taylor Fritz and Frances Tiafoe and hope for the best.

• Members

Taylor is playing now. He is looking ok. His game has a long way to go. Brett H. of TC was LOL at his marriage this afternoon. He made a comment on how he couldnt even drink yet so he had some type of juice to toast his marriage...LOL.

Jack does need to drop some weight. Can you image him at the US Open again this year? He will cramp all over again. He was already laboring in 70 degree weather.

TC commentators were saying how Jack needed to stop playing backhand to backhand rallies because he was losing them. You'd think Jim would have told him to stop that during the match. Coric backhand is much better than Jack's.

• Members

Jim may very well have advised him not to get into backhand to backhand rallies but players are often very stubborn. There are some players who insist that they can beat their opponents using their opponent's best shot. Tommy Haas used to do this, somewhat effectively but IMO unless you are supremely confident that you can overpower or outrun your opponent, it is a highly risky strategy that more often than not, fails.

Slightly related to Sock (but not really), did anyone see this video with Sasha Zverev and Sloane Stephens touring this museum in D.C.? I know it is for the ATP website and all but I couldn't help but feel like I was watching two people on a date.:lol: Remember those dating reality shows from the 90s?

Zverev Visits National Building Museum Washington 2016

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

Roger will miss the rest of the tennis year. He won't be back till 2017.

In other news Dimitrov is now being coached by Danny Valvedu(sp?). I thought Valvedu was coaching Juan Martin??:o:huh::unsure::blink:

Valvedu + Dimitrov =:wub:   Talk about a hot team….teehee