The Tennis Thread

• Members

I think not only would Grigor and Vallverdu make a good team but also look great together…teehee……Yes, I do think he should give him a call. Of course his last choice in coach was such a bust/bad choice in his part IMO. 

A Martina/Murray team would be interesting. I know Martina wouldn't put up with his moping and yelling…she'd put a stop to it…..LOL

I hadn't heard about the movie….hope it happens…can't wait to see it!

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Soapsuds

• Faulkner

• DramatistDreamer

• ChitHappens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Yes @Soapsuds, like Lendl, Martina would not put up with 'Mopey Murray' and his antics like oncourt sulking.

I notice that neither one of us has mentioned who we think Berdych should have coaching him.^_^:lol:  I don't know what to think but a person of his level, so many years in the Top 10, I agree the change would have to come from him, no coach can get it done for him.

Earlier on in Berdych's pro career, many compared him to Marat Safin (who I've always :wub:) and in a sense, I could see this in the early days, but now I can't even accept that comparison.  It's debatable whether Safin underachieved but the point is, with two Majors, Safin did manage to achieve.  

I know you have had Roger, Rafa and now Novak but then you have Andy, Stan got two, even Cilic got one, so as many years as Berdych's been in the Top 10 with all his physical gifts (taller than Ferrer and Nishikori who have to work so hard against bigger stronger opponents), it's very strange that he hasn't managed to grab a Major.  Heck Robin Soderling made it to more GS Finals than Berdych.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

Yeah I simply forgot about Berdych and his search for a new coach….LOL…I don't think it matters anymore since he won't win a major. He should have stuck with Vallverdu. Not even getting married got his career going…LOL….it was like you get married and you play better and win a major….but not in Berdych's case. I think had he made changes sooner in his career I'd still be interested. Instead he was satisfied with mediocre or average success. Not until Stan won a major did Berdych's eyes open up to what he should have been achieving. I think its now too late for him. I still don't get why he is blaming a 6-0 6-0 loss on his coach…He was not mentally prepared for the match. Its not like he hasn't done it before. He was the big favorite to win a major the year Cilic won. What happened? He came out with no emotion and played just awful and lost the match pretty easily. I think everyone in the tennis world thought that was his best chance to win a major. The year before I believe he played Murray in the semis…a great chance to make it to the finals of the US Open….what happened? It was a very windy day and Berdych came out so flat and uninspired. Another great chance wasted….last year against Tsonga at the French….another chance to possible win a major….again he came out so flat….his attitude was eh…its windy ….cant play….once he finally woke up it was too late and Tsonga closed it out in 4 sets….I remember Brad Gilbert saying he wasn't another opportunity during that match.

I miss Robin Soderling…he was a great player who beat Nadal at the French with power…that was great to see!

• Members

Soderling was a quirky player and watching him was never boring.  His loss has definitely been Stan's gain since Magnus Norman used to coach Soderling.

This meldonium drug situation is looking more and more like state sanctioned doping.  The New York Times investigation did a detailed report on how elaborate the lengths that the Russian testing lab went to dope athletes and then cover positive tests.  It is crazy!

Russian Insider Says State-Run Doping Fueled Olympic Gold

60 Minutes supposedly did a report interviewing the former head of the testing lab who left Russia out of fear and is now living in the U.S.  I'm going to see if I can find that interview and watch.

Almost every day, I'm reading headlines about some Russian athlete (and a few Eastern Europeans) having a positive test for meldonium!  I don't see how Sharapova can possibly get off without some form of punishment when every day it looks more and more like state sponsored doping of Russian athletes and the drug of choice seems to be Meldonium!

• Members

I saw the 60 minutes report and it was a big coverup with Russians and the doping. They are cheaters!

BTW…Murray is still trying to get Lendl back as his coach.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2016/05/17/caroline-wozniacki-is-latest-star-to-withdraw-from-french-open/

Edited by Soapsuds

• Members

Yeah, there was an article about how Andy was trying but not very optimistic about his chances.  I think the traveling and time away was a major issue for Ivan.

Caroline doesn't surprise me at all, she's been carrying an injury and looks in absolutely no rush to return to the courts any time soon.

I hope those whistleblowers can stay safe.  Russia doesn't mess around, people tend to go missing and wind up dead or slowly poisoned by radioactive substances!

• Members

I heard Sharapova's hearing was today at an undisclosed location.  I have no idea what happened and I doubt there will be any specifics of what occurred today, but I've heard that  we can expect a judgement by Wimbledon.

Oh, have you seen this?

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/15499354/tennis-players-weigh-maria-sharapova-serena-williams-roger-federer

• Members

@DramatistDreamer  Ha, love the graphics in that poll……I wonder who the players were that took the poll….Ferrer as most underrated….blah….his game is horrible…LMAO at Grigor winning for most overrated….LOLOLOLOLOL….and Maria S. for biggest diva…..Id give it to Eugenie….she comes off like a total beyotch.

• Members

Monfils also out of the French Open with a virus :(  

The top half of the Women's Draw looks like a complete clusterf*ck!

If they both make it, Nadal is expected to meet Thiem in the Round of 16.:blink:

I'm hoping that on the Men's side, in particular, that someone will emerge out of nowhere to take it this year.:ph34r:  I'm tired of seeing the same names in the SFs and Finals.

• Members

Apparently there is a L'Equipe interview that gives more insight into why Amelie and Andy parted ways and it wasn't just about her wanting to spend more time with her son.  

"Andy is complex.  On court, he can be the opposite of what he is in regular life.  That can be unsettling.  I was there to help him.  I had the feeling that I couldn't make things progress any more." 

-Amelie Mauresmo

Some are interpreting it as Andy being verbally abusive but I wonder whether that is true and if so, to whom is he being verbally abusive?  We know that Andy does a lot of yelling at himself and toward his box during intense matches, that alone would probably be a challenge to deal with but does this behavior extend to training sessions?

• 2 weeks later...