The Tennis Thread

• Members

Good point, @Soapsuds!  I'd forgotten how both tend to play rope a dope.  Simon seems to sustain it a bit better than Murray, maybe because most of Simon's matches tend to go the distance, while Murray tends to play a bit more efficiently over the past few years.  Even his losses to Nolé take less time.<_<

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Soapsuds

• Faulkner

• DramatistDreamer

• ChitHappens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

It really was!  I'm gonna need him to stay healthy and I see him getting better.  Delpo was really the only guy in Djokovic's age group that knows what it's like to challenge him and the other top guys.  Maybe if Delpo can find a way to step it up despite all of the challenges he's had to deal with, perhaps the other guys in Delpo's age group can find the wherewithal to step it up too.

• Members

So Angie Kerber's first tennis tournament since winning the Australian Open and she loses in the 1st round, getting a 2nd set breadstick?!  

Oh tennis.

E.T.A.

Looks like Kerber is in good company.  I just saw that Halep, Bencic (who recently made her Top 10 debut), Errani (who just won Dubai), Jankovic and some other players all lost.  Looks as if Doha defending champ Safarova may be about to go out but this is not surprising since she hasn't played in months due to that viral infection she was battling.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

I'm going to give DelPo a pass since that was his 1st tournament in over a year, I think and he was playing with a strong forehand but 1/2 a backhand.  I just hope he stays healthy and if he does, I doubt he'll be losing to the likes of Sam Querrey.

As for Dimitrov...no comment.:ph34r:  I don't know WTF is going on with his game but I no longer pay him much attention.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

Yeah it was his 4th match back? He might have been tired for all we know. I just can't with Sam Querrey. He always seems to be gone out of the radar and then poof he wins a non important tournament….LOL 

Dimitrov is 0-4 against Ram…that is just awful. Ram does nothing better than Dimitrov. I am worried that Dimitrov may have peaked at #8 two years ago. I don't understand why he can't put it all together.

• Members

Yeah, I remember there was a picture on Social Media of DelPo after his QF match and he specifically said he was fatigued but happy.  I do think the fact that he hadn't played in so long, he still has to build his stamina for playing deep into a tournament.  He's already jumped over 200 spots in the rankings, so at least there's that.

Does Dimitrov have currently have a coach?  Kyrgios doesn't and it seems to be working for him so far but if someone is slumping the way Grigor is slumping and he doesn't have a coach, then he's way past due for one.  Sometimes I feel like Grigor is having an identity crisis on the court.  He got saddled with that stupid nickname (Baby Fed) and he seems married to the idea of mimicking Federer's style as much as possible.  I mean, there are some natural similarities in style but Grigor should aspire to duplicate everything because it won't work.  I'm not sure he knows what his strengths are anymore.  I'm not going to hold my breath but I hope he gets it together- tennis tends to be more interesting when there are more than 3 or 4 guys who can win at any given time.