Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Paul Raven

Primetime Soaps

662 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, DaytimeFan said:

Pacific Palisades was easy to watch. What's interesting about it and Models Inc. is that the finale episodes do serve as actual finales. I think it helped both get sold really easily overseas because they were basically miniseries.

Actually - as much as I like to rant about Aaron Spelling (and I rant a lot) he was decent with giving his 90s shows what could serve as series finales - even with 2000 Malibu Road he got Lisa Hartman back to do an ending narration of what happened next for the European airings. Hell, even Savannah mostly wrapped itself up, even if you can see plot threads that could be picked up for season three.

Joan's part in Pacific Palisades is very weird - she first appears, then disappears and then reappears a few episodes later. It makes me think that when the show bombed (and it bombed hard) they were far into production, so they went back and re-filmed parts of the first episode where Joan appears and then didn't really add her to the scripts until later episodes. I almost want to rewatch her first episode to see if this is noticeable as it's my suspicion.

I watched Pacific Palisades a few years ago. The show even has its own topic here:

I still think that the show wasn't bad, but I can see why it failed. For a show that was supposed to be about the residents of a neighborhood, there was no feeling of community between the characters. Even though most of them knew each other, they were trapped in their own little storylines bubbles, much like Melrose Place became in its later seasons. There wasn't even a local bar or a restaurant where characters could have randomly met. They could have used that shopping mall as a popular location, but instead they let it collapse in one of the first episodes.