Outstanding Drama Series & Outstanding Writing/Directing Team

Toups

• Members

All I can say is watch it. The irony goes both ways. For the first time in 3 years Days had a real chance at Best Show and even in many ways deserved a nomination. How would you like a GH fan or any fan to say it is freakin' hillarious that Days got shut out again.

Remember Karma is a !@#$%^&*]

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I never said you did. I used it as an example. You might hear that from a GH fan on another board but you want here. I have never seen a GH fan on this board speak out of the way about Days at all. They may have before I got here but not once since I have been here since January 2006 have they.

• Members

Only way OLTL can win is if the panel has an equal number of people from ABC, NBC, and CBS. NBC/ABC will probably bloc vote to keep CBS from winning. Or at least I would if I was a sore loser.

Oh, I also agree it's a tight race between B&B and GL, but I think GL is gonna take it. I think the only way B&B will ever win the award is if their runtime is the same as the hourlong competitors in the race. I would be pleasantly surprised if B&B won this year...because they deserved it in 2003 and last year(but Brad submitted the wrong damn tapes, so he deserved it 1000%).

And SteveFrame, how can you say that last year's awards didn't reflect true talent? I think the right people one, even Landon, who I thought was a breakout star. I think the only undeserving recipient was GH.

I would be lying if I didn;'t say I'm glad GH isn't nominated.

• Members

For the reason that you stated above is why OLTL will win this year - the same way that GH most likely won last year. All the shows will have an equal number of voters and most likely NBC and ABC will vote together putting OLTL on top.

As to them not representing true talent. I didn't say they didn't represent talent. Even these awards represent talent. I have no doubt about any of the actors listed having talent. I said the awards did not represent who was truly best for 2005 just as these awards don't truly represent who was the best in each category.

All the nominees have talent, but when for many of the categories the person who truly should win it is not there or the frontrunners are not there then that is when they do not represent the best of the year for me. Based on what each one of them can submit they have enough to win - any of the nominees do because they are all talented people. And all of the shows have enough to submit one episode. Why Passions could probably even find one episode out of a whole year that could come close to winning.

• Members

Having just come off of a great February sweeps, it seems inconceivable GH isn't there - especially with the brief Laura's return (even if the episodes were bait/switch with the mob portion). The rewards are for last year, and so many of the stories that are being judged are passe.

OLTL - a tremendous amount of effort went into both the McBain non-funeral and the execution storyline episodes. Not much else came close on OLTL, but it was Emmy baiting. There was the joke of the Evangeline's blind story, the Spencer Truman show, and the overblown angst of John's daddy demons. It doesn't deserve best show overall, but it could get it. It is also getting some current buzz , but the buzz is 'improving' not great.

Y and R - I think deserves the show for putting out some consistent storytelling. Like every show, it had its dogs, but most was watchable. John Abbott's death and funeral, the ice storm...it had a few possible submissions. What might hurt it is that it now is rebuilding storylines.

B and B - I assume the death/resurrection of Felicia is what garnered them the nomination. Given how hard I had to think to come up with it, consistency is not exactly the wod I'd use.

I assume GL used Reva's 'exit' or Tammy's death. Not sure what is going on now, which can't be a good sign.

• Members

GL probably something to do with Reva's exit. Tammy's death was 2007 so it couldn't be submitted. GL already is a front runner for this year because of the anniversary, Tammy's death, Tammy's funeral with Jonathan's "death" at the end. All good stuff.

GL may have submitted the party episode where Reva left at the end to go kill herself. That was a really good episode. But to me the best episode was the Tammy/Jonathan episode where they broke up or ended it. The acting was so raw that day.

B&B like you said probably something with Felicia or could have been something with Stephanie's past. My best guess may be something to do with Darla's death. Those were pretty good shows.

• Members

It's amazing that GL is the only soap to be nominated in all three categories: Best Show, Directing, and Writing. I hope they win in at least one of these categories. Their writing certainly wasn't consistent, but like any show nowadays, with the right tapes, they stand a good chance.

I hope for GL's sake they take home Best Show. If GL is suddenly receiving so much love from the industry because they fear its cancellation would cause a domino effect, then so be it! :) There have been many years where they were overlooked, so to receive so much recognition now is sweet.

B&B's episodes with Felicia were great. If they submit Darla's death, they will certainly lose, because the scene where the car hits Darla was so ridiculous and poorly executed. She flew out into the street like the car had exploded, plus Taylor purposely screeched her car to a halt to get the woman's body off her windshield. It was like "what the hell was that?"

P.S. Do you think it would be unfair of GL if they submitted their 70th anniversary episode for next year?

• Members

Oh, GL definitely has a Drama Series nomination in the bag for next year's Emmys. It's only midway through March, and they already have so much material (Tammy's death, 70th Anniversary, Who Shot Alan, etc.).

• Members

I don't see why it would? It was not a show made up of clips or anything. It was all original. Some of the scripts were acted just as they were but all the stuff in between those was freshly written stuff.

I think they should do it. And Beth Ehlers needs to use that as part of her reel for next year. She was marvelous as Irna.

Archived