Soap Opera Openings

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I would post the classic soap opening that I'm currently addicted to, but the only place I've ever seen it is over at WoST. In fact, it's a recent addition to the archives with the current update. That would be the final 'Love of Life' opening. I've been a HUGE fan of the corresponding themesong for years since I first discovered it. It was composed by Canadian Haygood Hardy and is available on one of his albums from the late 1970s. It's hauntingly beautiful and poigant in the vein of Nadia's Theme, Days, and the 75-81 AW theme. The opening is set against a black background with still cast photos (in dramatic pose and shadows), some fading toward the camera, some away, before cutting to a beautifully conceived logo that kinda zooms and blurs into focus (very much like the original 'Loving' logo) before fading to black. Beautifully done and very classy. A screencap from that opening is my current avatar.

• Members

Now I want to see it even more than I had before! The music is so gorgeous...so, so, so gorgeous. If LoL was still on the air today, I'd easily see that exact arrangement still being used as the theme music. It's absolutely timeless. Would you care to describe how the opening cut sounds?

• Members

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh, KENNY.

I just discovered a SHOCKER.

You know how you were chatting about the "Days" opening and closing, how it starts from day and moves to night for the old closing?

Well, as a new "Search for Tomorrow" fan I've discovered something: in 1984, SFT had the SAME idea. Daytime at first, night time for the closing.

So it begs the question:

DID "DAYS OF OUR LIVES" COPYCAT "SEARCH FOR TOMORROW?!!!" :o

• Members

Yeah, but that's different. When it comes to stories, it's okay, but when it's something GLARINGLY obvious, like the "Days"/"SFT" controversy, I think we should take it more seriously. Think about it, any soap can have a baby switch story, but what if "Days," for whatever reason, changed their opening. The new opening has an opening book with flying photos of the Bradys and Hortons. OBVIOUSLY, we'd all cry, "Copycat!" because AMC sort of has -- and rightfully so -- monolopoly rights over the photo album idea. So that's why I was so shocked by the "Days"/"SFT" issue. This could be a very big deal.

• Members

You want a really big shocker? In the late 1960s, both "The Secret Storm" and "Dark Shadows" featured images of waves crashing against the rocks of a shore in their openings.

Or, even worse, "Another World" and its spin-off "Somerset" supposedly had the EXACT opening from 1970-1971. Visuals were exactly the same, and so was the music. Only difference was the title.

I'll call 911 now just in case you...you know, pass out or something.

• Members

The SAME exact...my word. I...don't know what to say! It's all too scandalous! It's all too shocking!

I'd be interested to see the soap magazine articles from back then, to see how they knocked each soap that copied the other.

Oh, the lack of originality! What a world!!! :(

Archived