Dawsons Creek...

JackPeyton

• Members

Loved it though I still have to watch the last season (read it by transcript).

Could never get the DVDs because I watched it (and recorded it on VHS live...I know Old lol) and remember quite well some of the songs that went with the scenes and hated the musical changes. (same with my other love ROSWELL...how could you check so much of the season 2 music)

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hopefully, they'll air the episodes with the music that originally aired (I hate what they replaced it with on my DVDs). That said, I watched the show (seasons 1-4) within the past year and:

1. I've yet to make it through season 5, so it remains to be seen whether this is truly the season that made the show jump the shark. (I fell off on watching the show halfway through season 4 because college got in the way).
  2. As much as Dawson was hated by many (with good reason at times), I found Joey just as loathsome now--especially when threw both Dawson and Pacey under the bus to put her special snowflake ass on a pedestal post season 2.
  3. Speaking of, Season 2 remains my favorite season precisely because that was when the show gained its footing and when there weren't any blatant favorites (hell, even my girl, Abby, got a sympathetic episode or two) to shove down our throats.
  4. I remember hating both Jen and Grams in the original airing, but can appreciate Grams as the smartest person on that show and Jen as the "bad girl" who was more than what folks wanted to paint her as.
  5. I'll always resent this show for throwing Andie / Pacey and Andie under the bus to facilitate Pacey and Joey / prop Joey's ass--especially since I far preferred the former character / relationship over the latter.
  6. And, oh, Pacey has and always will be my favorite character.

• Members

The main problem of the college seasons was the show's small ensemble. While a set of six core characters worked during the early seasons, the stories became repetitive in the later seasons. Joey became the main focus with Pacey and Dawson receiving the B storylines. The writers didn't seem to care about Jen and Jack at all and in season 6 they were both marginalized.

Most of the recurring or guest roles were either miscast or simply boring.

I guess this is an unpopular opinion, but I really liked Audrey. She was the only good thing about the college seasons.

The college seasons had a handful of good episodes, though, which were those episodes were everyone got together in Capeside. The final four episodes were well done.

• Members

I think the problem was the series had a difficult time transitioning their characters outside of the love triangle role. It's clear that's where the main formula manifested, and seasons 1-4 dealt with that with multiple variations. Once they phased Jen out of that role, she basically became useless, as the writers lost interest in her and as it has been stated Joey was where a lot of the interest was, which showed in seasons 5 and onward. But Dawson and Pacey both suffered a lot outside of the high school seasons.

The problem with Jack was he probably shouldn't have lasted beyond season 4, as he also lost a lot of purpose and utility when Andie left, and there was little to play off of, even though he had the friendship with Jen.

I couldn't stand Audrey, or Joey's bartender boyfriend or that useless character Jensen Ackles played for a season.

• Members

I thought Jack's interactions with Jen were more beneficial to the character than his interactions with Andie had been. That's not meant to be a slight on Andie, mind you, because I loved her. It's just that, like someone said earlier, they really really lost interest in that character, and as such any meaningful stuff that could have come out of her and Jack's sibling relationship was ignored. The Jen-Jack-Grams dynamic was always a welcome break from the the triangle.

Audrey...eh, I liked her, but I never liked how she just got into the main group and was treated like she'd always been a part of it. I understood the need for a new university character, but I always played around with the idea of instead having Abby drown in season 2, she could have moved away, and then when the gang went to college, she reappeared in their lives.

Random, but I loved me some Michael Pitt on this show.

• 2 years later...
  • Members

I've never been much of a Kerr fan but I think he looks the best of the guys - he's barely aged and the grey hair highlights it. Josh Jackson looks very bloated, and van der Beek seems to have more of the "allergic reaction" face than usual.

Michelle Williams' hair is way too severe. Susan Powter. When I think of her I worry about her mental state and that hasn't changed here.

Katie Holmes has always bored the hell out of me but she looks good. Not a fan of the hair though. It's very early '90s pop singer black and white video.

Meredith Monroe looks good too. 

Archived