PORT CHARLES: Favorite Story-Arc?

• Members

I recently stumbled upon some old clips on YouTube from PORT CHARLES.

Although I was not a fan of PC right off the bat, I became MAJORLY addicted to it once they changed the format and started with their 13-week story arcs. I am still sad today that PC is no longer on the air.

Of the story-arcs, which were your favorites, least favorites and how would you rank them.

Port Charles - Fate

Port Charles - Time In A Bottle

Port Charles - Tainted Love

Port Charles - Tempted

Port Charles - Miracles Happen

Port Charles - Secrets

Port Charles - Superstition

Port Charles - Torn

Port Charles - Naked Eyes

Port Charles - Surrender

Port Charles - Desire

Port Charles - The Gift

For me PC really started to grab ahold of me during Tainted Love & Tempted (and is truly one of the only times I actually enjoyed Michael Easton on a soap) and just skyrocketed from there.

My absolute favorite arc however was Secrets with the arrival of the three angels and the SHOCKING death of Eve!! I remember being on the edge of my seat waiting to find out WHO PC was killing off (since everyone who was promoed for the death were all MAJOR CENTRAL characters). I LOVED the PC was able to keep this secret in until the reveal on the air. Torn and Naked Eyes were also not too bad, but my interest started to decline after both of them. Surrender was ok, but PC ended on a bad note with The Gift.

My rank of the story arcs from BEST to worst this is how I would rank them

#1) Secrets

#2) Tainted Love

#3) Miracles Happen

#4) Tempted

#5) Torn

#6) Superstition

#7) Naked Eyes

#8) Fate

#9) Surrender

#10) Desire

#11) The Gift

#12) Time In A Bottle (ABSOLUTE WORST ARC--I COULD NOT WAIT FOR THIS TO END)

So what is everyone elses favorite?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I liked the arcs up to Miracles Happen...after Tempted they all went down hill IMO. It started to get some steam back towards the end, but I had really given up. Mircales Happen was really it for me....and when it ended with that dumb video montage eppy with the singer singing that stupid song...HATED that!

Still wish that SoapNet would air the stuff up to the arcs :(

• Members

ABC SHOULD HAVE NEVER GREENLIGHTED PORT CHARLES! WHAT A WASTE! ALL IT DID WAS TRASH GH'S APPEAL! PC WENT INTO THE DEPTHS OF HORRIBLENESS WHEN THEY BEGAN THEIR ARC "EXPERIMENTS"! 97-99 WAS IT'S GOLDEN AGE THANKS TO THE CULLITONS, RICHE & LYNN MARIE LATHAM.

GOOD RIDDANCE, PORT CHARLES!!!!!

• Members

Are you on crack?!

PC's BEST PERIOD was March 2000(beginning of Nurses Strike) to December 2000(the beginning of "Fate"). I give PC their first six months on the air as a golden era too.

Lynn Marie Latham/Scott Hamner focused WAY too much on things outside of the hospital and that terrible General Homicide mystery, which put Julie Morris-Devlin at the scene of every crime, which is impossible because we saw her face at the Nurses Ball when Jake was hanged. Thank goodness Harris saw a loophole and rectified the situation(even if the explanation was a little far-fetched). Adn Scott Hamner by himself? Do I NEED to bring up psychic espionage?! I think Latham/Hamner gave PC the shot in the arm it needed, but unfortunately, it just wasn't enough to keep me entertained.

Karen Harris's PC was a welcomed change from the plot-driven camp that was on the NBC soaps at the time. I was a soap viewer when I watched NBC. But Harris introduced me to what character-driven entertainment WAS and SHOULD be on soaps. I had no idea there was a distinction between character-driven and plot-driven drama, even when AW was on NBC(and looking back, they tried their best to make the most out of a bad situation).

James E. Reilly may have introduced me to soaps. But Karen Harris forced me to look at them from a critical and character-driven perspective. Was she 100% successful? No. There were unresolved plots(Rachel working with a buyer to take down GH and install herself as Chief of Staff is an example), some horrible exits(Matt's here one day, gone the next with the Witness Protection Program), and some downright awful plots(Blue Dot anyone?). But PC(Harris Era) was the kind of show that never failed to deliver and even in an age of Digest and spoilers, always managed to entertain its audience.

The arcs had NOTHING against the hospital politics Harris introduced to PC. Not to mention that Harris's PC proves that you can build a soap opera AROUND someone's occupation, instead of the occupation suiting the character in certain situations.

So much potential! I still consider Harris's PC one of the Best Soaps since I started watching daytime.

• Members

YOU can be quiet now.

Anyway, even though I hated most of the arcs here's how I would rank them:

1. Tainted Love

2. Fate

3. Tempted

4. Miracles Happen

5. Time in a Bottle

6. Naked Eyes

7. The Gift

8. Superstition

9. Secrets

10. Torn

11. Surrender

12. Desire

• Members

I absolutely loved PC. IMO, the best arc was the 2 weeks of the nurses strike. That was great stuff.

If I had to rank the real arcs (I didn't like the arcs at all, to be honest) I'd rank:

1) Miracle Happen

2) Secrets

3) Superstition

4) Tempted

5) Fate

6) Tainted Love

I think the best part of the whole arc concept was Rafe and Alyson. Before the arcs, Alyson was pretty annoying (think of Lily or Colleen on Y&R right now) and the supernatural stuff that PC tried with vampires didn't hold my interest until Rafe. They were an amazing couple, one of daytimes all time best.

PC was my favourite soap for most of its run. I liked it because it was a work-place soap, one of the only soaps not to focus on family. I admit that some of the plots were lame but they did a great job of integrating a cast of characters who were all strangers from day one. I think PC's biggest missed opportunity was playing up the Karen/Scotty relationship. When I think of PC I think of Scotty/Serena/Lucy/Kevin/Eve and Karen. Julie, Chris, Frank and Joe were secondary to those characters. Chris (Nolan North) was under utilized for the entire run and the characters of Matt, Ellen and Greg were not very successful despite good acting. PC had its moments of promise, including the nurses strike, General Homicide, Joe's aids story, Frank's dark side, Mary and Victor's wedding, Eve and Kevin, Serena's blindness, Neil and Serena's friendship, Karen's car accidents, Alyson/Rafe, Julie and Chris' love and the most heart-wrenching, well acted amazing storyline: Christina's parentage. WOW, was the Christina storyline amazing from begining to end, and then miracles happen end again.

PC slipped in its later years. I didn't care about Rachel, Livie, or Ian.

• Members

I'll have to think this over and post my favorites later :)

:rolleyes:

Trash GH's appeal are you freaking kidding me? GH was trashed on it's own. I know people who LOVED GH back then, but thought PC was the better written soap of the two. PC IMO was a better soap all around, even when it was bad it was still better than GH.

• Members

GH trashed itself. PC did nothing to it.

I thought Superstition was the worst. I liked the beginning with Eve's death and all but, around the second month of it, it got so boring and it became stupid with trying to clear Rebecca and so on.

Secrets had the most shocking ending though and I loved how they surprised everyone with the climax of it and kept everyone on the edge of their seat throughout that episode. You honestly had no clue who was going to die, at least I didn't.

Miracles Happen was my fave because it was during Christmas and was such a nice, happy little arc after all the darkness that PC had going. Tainted Love was amazing though. Loved Caleb and Livvie.

Archived