2007: The Directors and Writers Thread

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Wow, so many random additions to the writing staff. They have no connection to DAYS or Hogan. Gladgirl, do they have the same agents as Sheffer, Rayfield and Johnson.

I'm not sure about them helping Hogan and Meg with developing stories and writing breakdowns. They could influence H&M in a bad way. LOL

• Members

I believe they were writing GL when I was in love with it. They wrote the awesome Annie/Alan/Reva triangle, they wrote my favorite Dinah ever -- Wendy Moniz. The triangle between her, Hart and Cassie was fantastic. I loved their writing for Drew, and they introduced the fabulous Selena. They also wrote that really dramatic trial storyline with Abby... she was accused of killing a man, or something. I just remember really liking their stuff... EVEN CLONE REVA. I loved it all.

Most GL fans thought they were pretty hit and miss, though. Aren't they the ones who eventually began the Santos takeover?

• Members

I think they introduced San Cristobal, but I think it was the next writer who had it take over the entire show. I don't think that can be blamed on them.

What about the Santoses? They're the ones who eventually had the Santoses take over the whole show, aren't they? I loved Carmen, though!

• Members

Don't most people love Loving/The City? If they were resonsible for that, how bad can they be? Plus I thought they were good on PC and they were part of the excellent final season of Dynasty which was the best one. I've never understood the hate although I've never seen their stuff on GL.

• Members

B)-->

QUOTE(Chris B @ Jan 5 2007, 08:47 PM)
and they were part of the excellent final season of Dynasty which was the best one.

Oh Gosh..I thought they were horrible on Dynasty. Even the media/critics thought it was bad.

• Members

The final season of Dynasty is considered by fans and critics to be one of the best. David Paulsen (famous Dallas headwriter) took over the show and finally managed to go back to Dynasty's roots. Camp with a dash of class and season long arcs that made sense. I'd say it ties with the first season for the best and it also ranks as one of the best primetime soap seasons of the 80s.

If B&E were a part of it, then thats a very good credit for them. And I also thought they did a good job with Port Charles, though the arcs could be hit or miss. More hit than miss though.

• Members

B)-->

QUOTE(Chris B @ Jan 5 2007, 11:33 PM)
The final season of Dynasty is considered by fans and critics to be one of the best. David Paulsen (famous Dallas headwriter) took over the show and finally managed to go back to Dynasty's roots. Camp with a dash of class and season long arcs that made sense. I'd say it ties with the first season for the best and it also ranks as one of the best primetime soap seasons of the 80s.

I'd give most of the credit for the quality of the final season to David Paulsen. B&E were also writers during the show's 8th season, which was when the show was at its absolute worst. Not only was the show completely crappy, but it was so dull and boring.

• Members

Yes, Jim and Barbara have the same agent as Sheffer, Rayfield and Johnson...

I think this was clarified but in case it wasn't (it varies from show to show):

Headwriter

Associate Headwriter Writer -- writes breakdowns/outlines; helps headwriter "plot" story; will fill in when headwriter is on vacation (technically a higher "title" i.e., more money than a breakdown writer)

Breakdown writer -- writes breakdowns/outlines

Scriptwriter (also oddly called "Associate Writer") -- writes dialogue

Story Coordinator (also called Continuity Coordinator, Continuity Supervisor, Writers' Associate, Writers' Office Manager, etc.): reads and edits all story documents (long-term docs, thrusts, breakdowns, scripts, story summaries) for continuity and clarifies story details; conducts medical/legal reasearch for writers.

Script Supervisor (also called Script Typist): Types in changes from the Script Editor, Producers, Head Writer, Story Coordinator; being phased out through use of computers -- although daytime is very technologically behind the times

Writers' Assistant: Distributes all story docs; helps story coordinator with research

Archived