ALL: The Brits attack AMERICAN SOAPS!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I love the US soaps because they are not 100% reality. That's dull. I love the glam, b!tchiness, long pauses & all. Besides look at what they are comparing it too? As well, soaps are nothing like they used to be. I've tried British soaps but they are so boring IMHO. I watch Prime Time and the news for more realism. The PSNS stuff is pretty much spot on :lol: LOL at R Kelly!

• Members

As an added point of interest, using Passions' Vendetta storyline as an argument against U.S. soaps is a very, very flimsy way to go about things. Anyone can win that debate. Vendetta was one of th biggest embarasments in all of daytime.

• Members

OMG! I'm not even five minutes into it, and I'm FURIOUS!

They call Martha Madison a poor man's version of Heather Graham, Mary Beth Evans a poor man's version of Meg Ryan (what... because if the haircut?! EFFERS!!), and they called Stephen Nichols a poor man's version of Kurt Russell.

Go to hell, all of you!

I'm gonna finish watching this garbage...

• Members

Agreed. If I wanted to watch ugly people do ugly things I'd go to a mall. Not that I dislike realism in soaps and real looking people but look at the way Y&R is criticized for it's PSAs, it's not about having one over the other, it's about achieving a balance and a good American soap does that.

If that was an example of British soaps "realism", well, bad example, real people don't scream at someone "YOU'RE DEAD TO ME!". I had Sonny flashbacks for a second. It was nice to see them rag on DAYS, PASS and AMC. All three deserved the swipes.

• Members

I am with the British. Their soaps may be rougher and have "realer" people, but that's just it: The people are real and they don't SORAS, they just keep their original families. I love and appreciate our soaps for what they are and they used to be just as good but I think, especially in terms of dialogue these days, the UK shows have it all over us.

One thing I don't agree with though is that they kill mercilessly. Especially soaps like Eastenders, it seems they all have very strict "ethics" clauses or something for offscreen actors who, if they act up, can be quickly axed, no matter how long they've been on the show, and killed off violently.

• Members

I find the UK soaps to be very boring. Coronation Street ... EastEnders ... both very drab and depressing. EE especially. Emmerdale is populated by mostly 60 year olds. The only one I like is Hollyoaks. But I dont watch it.

as I said ... the Aussie soaps are my fav rendition of the soap medium. Home and Away especially!

• Members

I watched EastEnders a few times and found it completely depressing and... it made me feel tired afterwards, LoL. Not sure if I was just bored to tears, or the fact that the show was so damn CLOUDY!

It was almost too realistic, in that afterwards I just wanted to die (as with real life after walking a day in my own shoes).

• Members

God, someone tell that dumbass that the "Brad Pitt"-lookalike is an actor on ALL MY CHILDREN not THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS. Get your G*ddamn clips together!

I hate it when people trash soaps. I mean, REALLY hate it.

And his focus group consisted of people who probably never even watched soaps before. And "TRAPPED IN THE CLOSET" in comparison to daytime soaps? What a crock of [!@#$%^&*].

• Members

I was not very impressed with the comments of the actors myself. I knew first up would be Jacob Young's comparison to Brad Pitt, well ya know what, I like me some Jacob Young and not so much Brad Pitt, so I guess that I like the poor man's version.

Of course, at the time of the scene's that were shown, all three shows were very easy to make fun of, but things have changed. If you want to compare soaps, be more realistic than choosing some of the most stupid storylines (passions vendetta and the Madden Murder Mystery on AMC)... Sure he made some funny comments about Passions, but overall I disagreed with most of what was said.

Of course, I have never watched British soaps, or Australian one's for that matter. Sure everyonne wears a lot of makeup and some soaps have women dressed for cocktails in the dead of winter, but we know that and watch anyway.

I did get a good laugh though! Especially the R.Kelly garbage, what did that have to do with Daytime tv?

Archived