'Grey's' Actors Mad at Creator?

Toups

• Members

Wait, that turned you off? Why? It was totally in character for a slut like Meredith. The girl will screw anything she meets at a bar. Hell, the only shocking thing about those scenes was that the Walking Clit didn't meet George at a bar.

Agreed about the stupid decision regarding the Grey's move to Thursdays.

But dissing "Ugly Betty?" Not cool! That show looks hilarious and highly entertaining. It's modeled off the most watched telenovela in the WORLD. You know that right? So that means it's a proven hit. Like "American Idol," I think it might cross over well. The actress playing Betty looks like a hoot! She sure is 'Ugly,' and she seems to have the chops for good slapstick!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Most primetime actors DON'T work on outside projects while filming is in session. They are free to pursue whatever they want during the "off" months. Considering the average show is only in production 22 weeks of the year, that leaves plenty time for actors to shoot films and do whatever. It is not standard practice of any network or studio to let actors do a show and films at the same time.

Hours for single-camera shows are CRAZY and even if the rest don't have the work hours that Ellen Pompeo does, they still are working a lot.

It's unreasonable for a show to have to work around an actors' schedule, especially a single camera one.

Most primetime contracts are 6-7 seasons. The actors of "Grey's" would be fools to try to bolt. So many primetime TV actors have this foolish idea that since they are hot [!@#$%^&*] in TV, that this will translate to automatic success in film. Wrong! A lot of film people don't care for or watch a lot of primetime TV.

A lot of the actors who "make it" in films after primetime are usually from Industry-loved shows, usually quirky and smaller. A lot of people from "watercooler" shows don't make it, for a variety of reasons - Film people aren't that mainstream, and their primetime altar-ego actually pigeon holes them into a specific type of role. Which is frowned upon.

Heck, even Oscar winners have difficulty finding work.

I think ANY actor is LESS important than Shondra Rimes. She's the showrunner, the most important person of any show. Most shows start declining rapidly after their original showrunner leaves. There aren't many examples when a new showrunner maintains the quality of the one who proceeded them.

• Members

The difference between IDOL and BETTY is that IDOL translated to America with its original format. The show would not be the same if every judge on the panel was some nice STAR SEARCH judge that gave and tabulated scores.

BETTY was ordered as a weekly primetime series, instead of the telenovela it was supposed to be. That alone is doomed for failure. It would be like another country ordering an adaptation of SEINFELD and making it into a daytime soap. That kind of thing just won't work. At least MyNetworkTV has the balls to put their adaptations on every day of the week.

BETTY will be a terrible lead-in for GREY'S. But I'm glad the trash was taken out of Sunday Night. I'm SO looking forward to Calista's Conservative family on BROTHERS AND SISTERS. Bring on the family drama!

• Members

Is it really a Conservative family on "Brothers and Sisters?" Because something did SHOCK me about the promos for that show. I don't know if you were aware, but that song is by a Contemporary Christian artist. That song is all over Christian radio. I was surprised to hear it on an ABC show (read Satan's channel) promo.

----------

OMG, you guys. Now I'm REALLY going to disagree about "Ugly Betty." I had NO IDEA that the D-I-V-I-N-E America Ferrera will star as the title character. I saw the promos and really thought they hired an ugly girl! Who knew it was her underneath all that "Ugly" makeup?!! Wow. She is one of the hottest actresses out there, due in large part to her figure and acting chops. This is IMMEDIATELY Must See TV!!

• Members

Yes!

Word!

ITA!

They SHOULD NOT have changed Betty's country of origin. Making her Mexican is a HUGE CLICHE, they should've kept her Colombian.

Plus, the original story isn't set at a fashion magazine. IIRC, it's a fashion house/publicity place.

• Members

I loved Betty la fea and I just don't see the English-version lasting long. Ugly Betty isn't going to do well b/c they based the show on the telenovela, meaning that they're going to try to condense a daily serial into a primetime show. And the fact that they're turning it into an hour-long comedy, instead of a drama.

Also, there's a huge cultural difference that's too complicated for me to explain right now. The roles of women in Columbia and the United States differ so much. If they had kept the setting in Columbia, it would have been a lot more interesting. Instead, they're changing it to Mexico, and probably (correct me if I'm wrong) are going to set it in the US, making her an immigrant...or maybe the daughter of immigrants. So I'm sure that they're going to be using the stereotypical mexicana model for the character.

• Members

Amen! BL is an awesome show. I can't believe ABC did that, considering that it wasn't as if the show was doing terribly on Sunday nights. I like GA, but not like I do BL. And now it's up against SVU, so it's like a lose-lose situation for me, since I love both shows.

Also, the thing that I hate about GA is Meredith. She's such a witch. Everything about her annoys me. Her voice, her face, ugh...her entire personality. :angry: I don't understand why the others even put up w/ her. I'd just ignore her if I were one of them. I hated how from the beginning, she was always favored over the others b/c her mother was a famous surgeon and b/c she banged her boss. The other characters are what make the show interesting.

• Members

Greys will survive. I think people are going to follow Greys and its storylines which they're already invested in, over CSI's standalone episodes. Plus, the female audience is not gonna surrender the remote during that block - it'll be tuned to ABC.

JMO.

BL and DH were a nice pair, but ratings wise DH and GA were better. So they stuck with it. Pretty obvious business decision.

• Members

I didn't know it was America either! But now that I found out it was her, I'm definitely gonna watch :D:D

As for GA, they get 4 months off in the summer - fit their projects in there.

Shonda Rhimes is the one with the vision. She's the one who created the parts.

Archived