AMC: A Shocking Death-TV Guide Article

• Members

A Shocking Death on All My Children

by Michael Logan

It’s the whodunit that became the who-blew-it. The latest mystery killer to hit All My Children was intent on murdering Adam Chandler, the much-hated, control-freak maniac played by David Canary. Instead—as revealed in today’s episode—the killer accidentally whacked Adam’s sweet, mentally challenged twin brother, Stuart. Emmy favorite Canary gave TV Guide Magazine the lowdown on this most grievous boo-boo.

AMC promised to kill off a beloved character and, for once, it isn’t an exaggeration. Stuart’s death is sure to upset a lot of viewers.

Well, I don’t want to be crass about it, but upsetting people is what they want to do. Killing Stuart gets attention. It certainly got my attention!

How’d you find out about this? Word is, you heard it through the grapevine.

I did hear it as scuttlebutt. It was a jolt. It shook me awake, let me tell you. I tried to absorb what I’d been told and assumed it was possibly true. Then it became reality. The same person who told me also gave me another piece of information which I don’t think is true—the identity of the killer. I do wonder if they were pulling my leg. My lips are sealed but, for all I know, I was thrown a red herring. I guess we’ll find out.

How are you handling it emotionally?

I’m not going to say I’m glad this happened, because I’m not. I will miss Stuart, and I hope the crowd really responds to what’s happened to him. [AMC creator] Agnes Nixon pretty much gave me carte blanche with the guy when she created him 25 years ago. I used my own son, Chris, as inspiration—back then he was two years old, now he’s in graduate school! I built Stuart upon Chris’ sweetness and innocence. I especially looked to him when I needed to play Stuart’s childlike readiness to accept everything as truth. Stuart was probably the only character in soaps who was incapable of telling a lie. Adam always used him as a crutch. Adam could be his worst self and Stuart would come in to clean up the mess.

Is this really the last of Stuart? Let’s face it, we’ve lost count of the ghosts, spirits and angels who’ve visited Pine Valley in the last few years. I got a hunch we’ll see him again.

I’ve already shot a couple of flashback scenes leading up to the murder, and some scenes where Adam imagines that he’s talking to Stuart. He swears that he’ll become the kind of man Stuart was—a kinder, gentler, more caring and honest person. It’s exciting that Adam wants to be a better man. But is it going to take? It’s doubtful. [Laughs] I’ll believe it when I see it.

So Adam doesn’t want revenge?

Oh, he wants revenge all right. That’s popping in and out of the upcoming scripts on a pretty regular basis. He’s taken a kindness to Annie [Melissa Claire Egan] because she protected him during that awful night when his house was full of people with guns wanting to kill him. Adam feels Annie truly saved his life, so he’s taking her under his wing. He wants revenge and to be a better person. Go figure.

Why did the writers do this? Surely this can’t have anything to do with budget.

[Laughs] No. I think they paid Stuart maybe $24 per show. It isn’t at all monetary. Once in a while the writers like to jerk the leash. Basically it’s a matter of sacrificing the character to move the plot.

What will you miss most about playing Stuart?

I’ll tell you this: It’s going to be harder to win an Emmy! I’m embarrassed to admit it but I’ve won the Emmy five times, and every time I have submitted Stuart scenes. But I’m accepting this as a challenge. I think it’s going to help the show, and has the potential to be something very poignant, maybe even beautiful. Of course, we’ll see if having Adam solo is going to carry the weight the two of them did. I doubt that it will. But this does give us the chance to see another side of him—the broken-hearted man who feels he better get his life in order or else. This is going to put some real energy into the show. So, one way or the other, the spirit of Stuart will live on.

http://www.tvguidemagazine.com/soaps/a-sho...ldren-1174.html

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I got that impression from the interview also. Adam is on his last legs as is Erica. David had his years in the sunshine and when he was at his best there were few actors of his caliber who could match him.

• Members

Even now there are few who can match him. I do know every actor eventually has to go, but AMC's male cast is probably weaker now than it has been in many years. Zach, JR, Ryan and Tad are dreadful. Adam is still needed.

Archived