Most Ruined Characters

• Members

What are some characters that you liked at the beginning,but as time went on,things changed.

Maybe there was a recast,or the writing changed(or both)or you felt the actor lost something...whatever

Some of mine

Victoria Newman Y&R

With Heather Tom playing Victoria,she was multi faceted-bitchy,vulnerable,spoilt etc.A leading lady we could follow for years.

Now with Amelia Heinle we have a bland supporting character who's lucky to be on once a week, in a dead end marriage.This was definitely a miscast,but none of the writers have tried to restore her to the vixen she was before.

Marlena DOOL

Once a feisty,sympathetic romantic heroine,Marlena became a victim of ridiculous plots-possesion,serial killer that left her a shell of her former self.There was no fallout from these in terms of the character and Deidre Hall wasn't given the chance to play much-she pretty much showed up,read the lines and left.

Lisa ATWT

How fascinating it could have been to see her grow and change over the years.Would she still be searching for romance,or be content to meddle in her children and grandchildrens' lives.Instead,for the last 1o years,she's barely been visible and instead of being the Katherine Chancellor of the show,she's been reduced to the lady who turns up a few times a year so that newer viewers wonder exactly who she is.Blame the writers and execs for this one.

Your contributions please...

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sigh...

AMC: Ryan Lavery, Greenlee Smythe, Kendall Hart, Tad Martin, Di Henry

Reason Why: These characters used to be dynamic, appealing and compelling until the writers started writing them into corners that they still haven't gotten out of. Ryan has the biggest god complex on the planet and thinks with the wrong head; Greenlee went from spoiled rich girl to whiney victim; Kendall went from resilient black sheep to Carly Corinthos-lite; Tad Martin went from Tad the Cad to Tad the Madden Murderer; and Di went from mysterious stranger to bland gal pal to dead.

OLTL: Christian Vega

Reason Why: Christian used to be a soulful artist from the wrong side of the tracks until he was turned into a man-whore who fell for any girl who needed his help.

GH: The Cast

Reason Why: Guza

• Members

ATWT:

Craig - What Sheffer did to this character is still beyond my belief. Some of the most careless, smug, heartless scripting around. As much as I sometimes try, I still can't get that out of my head where he set Sierra's fiancee up as a stalker and had him killed.

Barbara - A complex, fascinating woman turned into a gasping, wheezing, veil-wearing psycho.

Adam - Hey, let's make a legacy character into an embezzling, brother-hating, attempted rapist...and the reason for this is...um...oh, that's right, California made him turn bad. That's what I call insightful writing.

OLTL:

Todd - I really love Marty. I love Marty so much that I'm going to violate her in the ugliest way possible. Look at me pout. Doesn't this show what a good person I am? Rape is true love, you know. I'm going to take my daughter's baby, but look at how sad I am. How can you be mean to me? I love Marty so much and she's made me such a good person, I'm going to try to drown myself. Yes, thank you everyone, for coddling me and proving how special I am. Now I'm going to try to steal my children back, the children I abandoned for my rape victim/true love, just so you'll see again how wonderful I am. And best of all, I'm going to go through every scene with as little facial expression or voice inflection as possible, because emoting in any way is just out of the question.

GL:

Ben Reade - A legacy character turned into a psychotic killer, and why was that again? Oh, it's because of heretofore unknown sexual abuse as a child. Bad rewrites + deeply offensive messages that abused children become deranged murders = unforgiveable.

• Members

Todd - Don't get me wrong, I love TSJ and Todd is such an interesting character, but seriously.. How many more situations can they put him in? Looking guilty for stabbing Blair, Going for custody of the children, all the drama with Marty.. I mean, how are people suppose to root for him? I LOVE Todd, don't get me wrong, but my goodness. Talk about ruined.

• Members

ITA with leevo about Cristian on OLTL. I haven't liked him for years, actually I take that back, it's not that I don't like him as much as I don't care two ways about him. I enjoyed his early days with Jessica (Yorlin & Erin). The descent began with the character's hunkification, recasting him with a lesser actor and dumbing him down.

Ruined is a strong word, but Dorian certainly suffers when she isn't written to her full potential. I really hate to admit it, but there are days when I think to myself, How did I ever love this character so much? She has been a shell of herself for quite some years now, annoying and shrewish, and poor RS has tried to make up for it by kicking the scenery chewing up several notches which doesn't always work out so well.

Similarly, I can't believe there was a time where I actually liked Ryan. I blame the writers and CM for this one, the writers for cramming Ryan down our throats and CM for cramming himself down our throats.

• Members

ATWT - Chris Hughes. I happened to start watching when he was played by Ben Jorgensen, sweet, a bit of a screwup, relatable. I know that portrayal wasn't popular either, but I loved him. Then they replaced him with a succession of bland soap hunks, starting off with Paul Korver when they put him with Molly of all people, as well as a pervy-feeling relationship with Abigail.

Also I agree with the GH - everyone - Guza comment, lol.

• Members

Everyone currently on General Hospital and all of the characters who left throughout JFP's reign that never seems to end.

Also, GL's Alexandra Spaulding when Ellen Weston (the original EW) made her into some pill dropping maniac! ITA with the statements regarding Ben Reade.

• Members

Everyone on GH including Baby Jake. Ruined.

Days- Nicole? Totally ruined for me.

AMC- Kendall when she slept with Ryan.

GL- Reva Shayne Lewis Lewis- soon as they cloned her it was over.

B&B- Taylor Forrester. Runner up Storm Logan. He should never have killed himself and was a waste of MC's talent.

OLTL- Evangeline when they paired her with Cristian.

Y&R- Victoria Newman. I have no idea who she is anymore. Colleen is a close runner up.

Archived