Revealing Interview With Y&R Actor in SOW About Latham

• Members

The actor refused to give his/her name....

BTW, I got this off the DR, this is in this week's SOW I believe.

Source: SOW

This week's guest is a Y&R actor/actress who asked not to be named for reasons that will become clear when you read this.

Carolyn: What do you think of your former executive producer and head writer Lynn Latham being fired in the middle of the writer's strike?

Actor: Well, from what I heard, she wasn't technically fired. Her contract expired while she was on strike, and she walked off the EP job because she was on vacation and 'unreachable' in Central America or somewhere when the strike hit.

Carolyn: I think she was talented, but she seemed to have a lot of pet causes for a one-hour show.

Actor: Oh, please. We couldn't keep up! First it was, 'Why is everybody at the gym with this bottled water all the time? Don't they know that pollutes the environment?' So the bottled water was gone, not a huge loss. Then it was, 'Can I also say that the fires in the fireplaces, romantic though they may be, are polluting the planet in the worst possible way? You can't build a house anymore with a wood-burning fireplace. Let's stop that.' "Uh, okay, now we're doing a soap opera supposed to be about romance, without any fireplaces. Then she saw the movie "Blood Diamond" and that was it. No more diamonds.

Carolyn: I remember that, because Phyllis got a pink ring from Nick and I was like, "What the hell was that?"

Actor: Exactly. It looked like it came out of a Cracker Jack box. The other thing was, she didn't understand the character of Ashley. She wanted her out, too. Ashley was out.

Carolyn: That was a bummer. I also heard your show wasn't written too far ahead when the strike hit, unlike most of the other soaps, which had stockpiled scripts in preparation.

Actor: That's right. It was written through Christmas. So the day after Christmas was where these new writers had to pick up. So, we [the actors] took a week off, and they wrote like crazy, whoever they were. And on our first day back, Gloria is explaining to Kevin that she's converted most of her dollars to diamonds, just in case Jeffery comes after her money. There is all this talk of diamonds and somebody else is getting an engagement ring. Then we cut to the gym, and there is bottled water everywhere. And then -- ding-dong! -- Ashley is at the door. The first day back!

Carolyn: That's funny.

Actor: It bothered me a little because it seemed like a little too much personal stuff was being brought to the show. Lynn's [causes] clearly bothered some other people a lot more than they bothered me. It says to me there are people here who said, "The moment she's out the door, X,Y and Z is going to happen."

Carolyn: She did some good things, too.

Actor: Absolutely. She brought in a few people who are terrific like Ted Shackelford [Jeffrey, ex-Will]. On the other hand, there's an actress friend of hers she brought in who I think is about to get fired.

Carolyn: IS Y&R going to murder her character?

Actor: No, I think our producers are reluctant to have one more f--king murder in this town. I heard one of the new writers suggested maybe someone in town could read in the newspaper that the crime rate in Genoa City just dropped precipitously.

Carolyn: That's hysterical. Who killed Ji Min, by the way?

Actor: We don't know. Does anybody care?

Carolyn: I care because Ji Min's murder gave Amber all that money, which I think is a really funny story.

Actor: I agree.

Carolyn: No offense to anyone, but I think Y&R is so much better now. No more tales of art collecting or Nazis or student teaching or diamonds or bottled water, which don't exactly lend themselves to stellar storytelling. And it's gotten really funny!

Actor: Yeah. There's clever, funny stuff all through it. No offense to anyone, agreed --- but I'm very happy.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm pretty happy about the change too. Y&R has been much better since Christmas (I started watching the show again at the time). Things are slowly picking up and once the show gets rid of its faults it'll be much better.

• Members

YO!!!

I wanna know who it is! I wanna know who it is!

I also thought it was strange when Ashley appeared out of nowhere after her long absence. That Christmas episode was like an alternate dimension.

And who cares about diamonds, bottled water, and fireplaces? That has nothing to do with good story lines, strong characters, and CLIFFHANGERS! I swear to God I don't think any episode last year had a cliffhanger. Even when shrapnel fell on Victoria's head or when Dru fell off the cliff, you knew what was gonna happen.

All in all, Phyllis should keep her huge pink ring (which she made fun of when she first met Adam last week; did anyone catch that?) and revert to her old, conniving ways. She's becoming like Crickett for God's sakes.

• Members

The actor's comments remind me of John Pleshette's (Richard from Knots) comments (on knotslanding.net) about Latham and Lechwowick when they were writing Knots. At that point, Pleshette was no longer acting on the show but was one of its writers. He hated them, and said that they were just so politically correct about everything that it was impossible to get his ideas through.

• Members

Also:

Yes, and no. We (the viewers) care, because that's a plot thread which has been left dangling. But, OTOH, is anyone losing any (more) sleep over Ji Min's murder? I, for one, would be okay if the show just decided to move onto other, perhaps more important things.

• Members

I'd love it if David did it. That man has been irking me since he came on the scene. Nothing against Vincent but, for God's sakes, get him out of there!

Or maybe Aussie Colleen (the real Colleen's evil twin), Amber, Heather, Karen, and Jana did it together and will go to prison for it.

For-Eeeeeeeever. And Eeeeeeeeeever.

<sigh> That'd be nice.

Archived